Thursday, February 21, 2008

reaction to "Drawing a New Map for Journalism in the Middle East"

I thought this article was very interesting because I do not know a lot about media in the Middle East. The only familiarity I have with it is Al Jazeera because it has been talked about all over American media. I give a lot of a credit to Abdul Rahman al-Rashed for starting an alternate and competing media channel in the Middle East in the face of all the adversity he has to face. I can't even imagine what it must be like to receive death threats based on what you report and also the pressure of being critically watched by political regimes must be so stressful. I really like the ending quote by Rashed, “It’s about an idea: don’t try to change politics directly. Just try to change the media for the better. And I think the result will be a better Arab world.”
I do think that many journalists try to change politics through their reporting and on-air time and I his quote here puts that into perspective.

No comments: